Sunday, March 16, 2008

It Was There... Now It's Gone

You think you can depend on tails.
You don't expect tails to go wrong.
The last time I looked it was right there.
Now when I look there, it's gone.
It was always just behind me, always tagging along.
A little something at the back...
I thought it was there, and it's gone.
I assumed it was attached to me, that it actually hung true.
I'd hoped it was stuck very firmly on. Maybe we needed some glue.
It used to trail right behind me, always tailing along.
My little extra at the back...I thought it was there, now it's gone.

Poor Eeyore! He was so sweet and gentle - followed us around like a puppy. Then a few days ago, he started herding me, shoving me around, blocking my path and nipping at my legs!! I didn't know what got into him unless it's the pheromones taking over!! He doesn't do it to Mike!! Anyway, Eeyore had surgery today. He didn't lose his tail, but close! He lost his 'jackhood'! (He was a 'jack', but now he's a 'gelding'). They were there last time he looked, but now they're gone. The local veterinarian stopped by today and removed them! (Yup, Doc Rux makes house calls!!) Animals are amazing how they cope with bothersome things, injuries, and the removal of body parts! He was immobilized for the deed, but it still looked pretty brutal to me. He's up and walking around and even munching on a little grass. He was bleeding at first and we were a little concerned, but he seems to be OK tonight as we checked him before Mike went to bed. We'll keep him quiet for a couple of days and in a few weeks he won't even remember what happened to him (I hope)! Hopefully they don't remember like elephants!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes you wonder if the poet was actually writing about Eeyore's tail. Maybe he had a similar experience with his donkey...
Pam

Ryan & Deb said...

hi judi! i just came across your comment on my blog! i really need to get in touch with travis, i just haven't...considering he and i graduated together! i stop by his blog a lot of times too. how wonderful for you to become a grandma twice at one time!! congrats!!
i have videos that i want to send to chey from our 'later years' in the starlighters...remember the 'free willy' days?? ew!