Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Oh, to be a cowboy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31aETl1BESU

My Heroes have always been cowboys…
I grew up a-dreamin' of bein' a cowboy, and
Lovin' the cowboy ways.
Pursuin' the life of my high-ridin' heroes,
I burned up my childhood days.


So… what does it take to be a cowboy?
(a) A cowboy hat
(b) a guitar
(c) chickens
(d) cows
Correct answer: (d) cows

What is it that cows like to eat?
(a) Pizza
(b) Cockleburs and Thistles
(c) Coyotes
(d) grass
Correct answer: (d again), Grass

When we settled in here at the ranch, the trick was to turn 80 acres of six foot tall weeds into useable pasture for cows. That took a 300HP tractor pulling a big plow (see earlier post) to get rid of the weeds. Unfortunately, I found all of the rocks which really do a job on plows. For every hour of plowin’ it takes about 10 hours of fixin’.
Fuel for the tractor….. $1000
Fertilizer……………. $3500
Sprigging 30 acres…… $3000
Seed for 40 acres ……. $1050
Rental of Spreader….. $400
Having the rain come at exactly the right time and having friends and neighbors lend you equipment…………. PRICELESS
Now it’s time to watch the grass grow (literally!), but in the meantime, I need to learn how to repair some barbed wire fence, and get rid of some mesquite trees.
(When does that romantic life of a cowboy begin?)

1 comment:

Cheyenne and John said...

I dunno dad.. when I think of cowboys, I think of ol' Curly in the movie "City Slickers" and how much work it turned out to be for those city folk but Curly made it look so easy! Your city slicker days will someday release it's grip on you and soon you'll make the ranchin life look simple too!