Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Farewell, Loyal Friend....

Our faithful dog, Sheba, has been with the family for 16 years. Judi, Travis and Chey got her in Poultney, Vermont when visiting their Uncle Ted. She was a Beagle/German Shepherd mix. She has beagle ears and the white spot on her chest and German Shepherd build and tail. She became Cheyenne’s dog, since Travis claimed Missy, our peekapoo-poo. With college and a marriage, she became our dog.
We remember Sheba racing across the yards in Sagamore Hills, OH to chase squirrels; and her tendency to ‘take herself for a walk’ with the leash in her mouth! Sometimes she would shake it so hard it would often come off of her neck. Then she suddenly realized that the chain was no longer around her neck! Did you know that dogs could give impish looks when they realize that they’re about to get away with something? Yup, when she realized that she was no longer on a leash, she almost grinned as she scampered across the yard to play with Droopy two yards away.
Sheba was always a ‘people dog’. I can’t ever remember her even snarling at anyone. She just wanted to be around the family. As she got older, her wanting to be close by almost became an annoyance. Wherever you would go, Sheba was right in front of or behind you. We finally developed the habit of simply stepping over her any time we turned around. Judi became used to stepping over or around her on the kitchen rug by the sink, or next to the computer chair or by the couch when watching television. When outside, she oversaw every weed that was pulled, every branch cut and followed the mower everywhere it went!
Several years ago, Sheba had a neurological incident while we were on vacation. Fortunately, Cheyenne was house-sitting and took her to the Vet for treatment. It turned out to be some rare syndrome in older dogs possible related to blood sugar. Though she recovered in time, poor Sheba hasn’t really been the same since then. We thought that we’d lose her before Christmas that year, but that was about 5 years ago, and Sheba has plodded on.
Finally it was time. Sheba’s physical state was noticeably on a downhill slide. Her legs were very weak, and barely controllable. She would walk and drag her claws to the point of significant bleeding… and not even know it. She could no longer control her bowels, and would leave a poop wherever she happened to be, and not know it. Her kidneys could no longer concentrate urine and she had marginal control. She was almost deaf, and losing her sight, and totally oblivious to her surroundings… it was time.

Farewell, good and loyal friend.
I’ve heard that the Lord has a special place for loved pets at the entrance to heaven. They can play in sunshine and never have to worry about food or shelter. And then when their master is called to heaven, they come bounding over the hill, with tail wagging, to be with them once again.

3 comments:

Cheyenne and John said...

Sheba was a great dog and will be missed. I've always got good memories of her.. I remember bringing her home from Vermont, how she was afraid to be left alone in a dark room! I remember BEGGING you to let me get her! Thanks for letting me get her- She made me smile for many years!!!

Anonymous said...

She led a good long life with lots of love... and any dog that can survive Trav for that many years is truly a special dog ! We'll miss Sheba too.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Sheba... the last bastion of the "norm" while growing up. Even though I didn't feel the closeness of Sheba (my loyalties lied in Missy and Sugar), she was the last animal to pass away from my "childhood". It almost feels as though part of me... my memories for yesteryear... have left with her.

I'll miss that dog. I'll miss her trying to bite my hand as I tried to pinch her through the covers.

But as always, life must go on. But seriously, I feel as though part of my past has finally left me.