Saturday, April 25, 2009

Latest Project

Olney Centennial Celebration is one week from today, and the Hospital Auxiliary will have a table. We're planning a Bake Sale, and we have a great location just around the corner from the Gazebo (where many events will be). I've been making hot pads (such as they had 100 years ago) patterned after some my mom had. I remember these being around as far back as I can remember. We get so used to ever-updated technology, and some of these old talents are all but lost in this generation. My grandmother taught my mom, and my mom taught me when I was 8 or 9, and I've passed it on to my daughter. But most younger people I talk to don't know how to knit, crochet, darn a sock -- we just get new ones. Of course, I too take advantage of modern conveniences, but I thought it would be nice to promote this old art for our centennial. I'm actually having fun knitting and crocheting while watching movies or TV. I can now almost make one a day!!! We'll see how well they go at our table - I'll sell them for $5 apiece.

2 comments:

Cheyenne and John said...

Wow- the picture is really beautiful of your masterpieces! I love the duel layers and on mine you made the front and back opposite- super cool!

pam said...

On the contrary, it seems like most of my female peers knits or crochets. I think it's a hobby that's regained popularity of the past few years and I don't think it's going anywhere. At least, I hope not. I like all my homemade bankies!