Friday, May 22, 2009

PLUS FIVE = an even DOZEN

Powder had her babies yesterday morning! She was a little freaked, but she did use the box provided and nursed her new little brood. This is her most unique one, though I must say it's an interesting mix... she had a calico too.
The first family picture was a little messy, so I decided to get a better 'family' picture so as not to gross you out!! However if you count, you'll notice SIX kittens in the picture (she only had FIVE). She now thinks they're ALL hers!! So she borrows from her sister at every opportunity.It's not hard to catch her in action:




So, Sienna had to check out Powder's box when she noticed her kitten count was a little short! While checking, Powder returned with yet another and settled in to nurse.
By the time I finished feeding all the animals this morning, Sienna's box was EMPTY!! I had to figure out a solution. Returning them just invites her to retrieve them again, so I scouted around for a bigger box. If they're all going to end up in one box, then there needs to be room for two moms to feed them all! So, here's my solution since it's very apparent to me that they intend to share in the responsibilities!!! And Powder's being pretty pushy, keeping all the babies in her box!!

2 comments:

Cheyenne and John said...

wow... do the babies know who is their mom or do they even care as long as their getting fed?

Mike and Judi Winslow said...

As best I can tell, I see some nursing on their mom, others are indescriminent. There are a few I don't know which one they belong to (the blond ones especially). The dark one I've seen on both moms. SO, I guess it doesn't matter to them!!!