Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ups and Downs of Ranch Life

(Please excuse any graphic material in this post, but a picture is worth 1000 words)

Since I'm working, I don't get to spend much time composing, plus the computer has been acting up, further interfering with blogging! So, there's much to catch up on! I might have to divide it into a couple blogs to keep related items together. This will be my 'animal' blog and my next one will be a 'work' blog!

Sadly, my 'bestest' babies have been missing for a week. Though I know there's a small possibility that they're off exploring and COULD turn up one day, each day Mia and Mitzi are gone, my hopes are dashed a little more! Living in the country, we have too many predators to hold out a lot of hope for their survival! All I can say is that they were the sweetest and gentlest kittens I've EVER had. It makes me sad to consider their likely demise. For all the times I've heard the coyotes close by, yip, yip, yipping, my kitties have always showed up. As long as there were trees nearby, I knew they could find safety. In the open field though, the odds change in favor of the coyotes. Unfortunately the kitties and Sam search for field mice and rats out there.

Now the next generation is coming along pretty well. I've observed some interesting training methods of late. Little Kitty hunts at night and brings her quarry to the porch for the young ones to feast on. I've seen evidence of a mouse, and then last Saturday, she brought a rat and showed the kittens what to do with it. When they lost interest, she tossed it around as if it were alive (demonstrating her techniques) until she got one or two interested and then they'd feast on it for a bit. Like a good mom, she waited until they were done before she ate her share.

I can also tell she's in the process of weaning them. I see them eating dry food and drinking water. A couple of them like the wet food. Then there's Tiny (the pint size kitten) - he's feisty, but still prefers mother's milk. They were taking advantage of Kitty's eating to sneak under for a drink of milk, and all you can hear is multiple purrs coming from beneath her belly. The kitten IN the food dish nursing is (of course) Tiny - it's kinda like standing on a stool.
He's starting to look cuter these days!
And they have become so playful and they're sooooo cute. Judge for yourself!!
In a couple weeks they'll be ready for their new homes and it will be pretty quiet around here.

3 comments:

Cheyenne and John said...

You've got some GOOD pictures of those kittens. I can almost feel how cuddly they are. Sorry that the other 2 haven't shown up yet.. Maybe someone found them and made em indoor cats.. After all, that's how I got Tober!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Tober, she's turned into such a lap cat all of a sudden! I don't know what to make of it!! All of a sudden she LOVES to be pet and fussed with!!

Cheyenne and John said...

Maybe she's trying to butter you up so you quit dunkin her into a bath!