Saturday, September 6, 2008

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors...

--slightly amended from the famous poet, Robert Frost:

'Why do fences make good neighbors?
Isn't it where there are cows?
But here there are no cows
Before I built a fence I'd ask to know
What I was fencing in or fencing out?'

Here on the ranch, we don't have cattle yet. I often see a neighbor's cow or calf (or bull) roaming outside the fence along side the road. But I never see horses wandering about! Since living here, I have learned that horses can find weak spots in fences when it means finding the grain or greener grass.

Doc says - "Hmmmm... the grass looks greener over there"
Well, yesterday I was watering and gathering produce from my garden when I came across a partially eaten cantaloupe (left) and disheveled vines. I knew I'd had a visitor! Maybe a skunk? My kittens attack the tassels of corn and romp in the vines, but they don't EAT cantaloupe!! After a little more investigation, Mike pointed out a missing section of wire fence on the far side! With that BIG clue, I found hoof prints and horse/donkey piles of 'poop' around the garden, and then I checked the corn! On an earlier escapade they had eaten some of my corn and killed a few plants. This time there were ears to be tasted! I'm lucky if I have 5 corn stalks standing!! Good thing the corn was a loss anyway because of maturing in the heat of August or I'd have been really cross with those horses!!! At least they didn't trample the squash, cucumbers, okra or other melons. Aside from the corn, I lost 3 melons, but there are several others coming along. For a garden that was planted late, we're getting lots of summer squash and okra. Melons are doing well. We're just starting to get cucumbers. The tomatoes have been a bust so far, but as it cools this month, I think we'll be rewarded with lots of tomatoes and peppers. The 'late planted' garden is really paying off!!!

Along another fenceline, Mike found this huge garden spider this morning. I'm not sure what she's consuming, but it's the size of a grasshopper if that gives you an idea of her size. Isn't she a beauty???

4 comments:

Cheyenne and John said...

I'm rushed and haven't read it yet, but wanted to comment on the post anyhow. THAT SPIDER IS HUGE!! I'll read later and comment more.

Anonymous said...

almost reminds me of our little house guardian...

Mike and Judi Winslow said...

Snakie.. I checked out the link to your 'little house guardian' and I think it's a very well fed Texas relative. Why don't you feed yours better???

Anonymous said...

We did... but now that you're a native, you should well know that "everything is bigger in Texas"... Come on, Ma!