Saturday, July 12, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way to the .......

I was going to add an addendum to the last post, since the 'manager' wouldn't download more pictures and in the meantime, a more pressing item has reared it's ugly head.

Actually it's NO funny thing that happened on the way home from Wichita Falls. I never did absolutely LOVE roller coaster rides, nor slippery roads, nor chigger bites, nor rattlesnakes, nor anything painful!!! I suspect Travis can most relate to the wild ride I took Wednesday night, as he rolled our Blazer over 5 times and came to rest within a foot or so of a tree or poll that could well have been his swan song, yet he walked away relatively unscathed - with only a couple of abrasions. It totalled our Blazer. The verdict is still out on the Honda Pilot (2006)! I was on cruise control at 70 mph (speed limit), when I nodded off for just a moment too long. The change in surface jarred me into reality and it was like driving on snow! Impossible to get any kind of traction and a lot of fishtailing! I avoided a road stake only to totally lose it, go airborne for a moment and then slide through a fence, wiping out a few mesquite trees and some prickly pear cactus. We (Honda and I) came to rest wedged behind and beside several mesquites which limited my exiting the vehicle. I tried to call home, but it was one of those dead spots along the road, so I tried to find a way out of the vehicle. I opened the sunroof just about the time a good samaritan came along, noticed the fence out and saw my white vehicle in the mesquite patch. The driver's side windows were obscured by the deployed air bags but he could see through the windshield. He managed to get the passenger door open enough that I could get out and drove me to our local little hospital in Olney (only about 5 miles away) while I called Mike. I was REALLY lucky. The only injury I sustained was a scrape and hematoma (bleeding into the tissue under the skin) on my left forearm. Luckily nothing was broken. So they cleaned up the scrape and put ice on to reduce the swelling and stop the bleeding. All was well until I started blistering up - it seems I'm allergic to the cleanser that they used!! So my arm looks a little nasty right now, but I'm on the mend!!!

There was a fence post with barbed wire across in front of the then-standing mesquite trees:

The swath through the trees and brush:

Poor Honda ... bumps and bruises everywhere!!

Passenger side-view mirror and damage above driver's side windows
My swollen arm and hand with lots of blisters from the allergic reaction to the cleansing solution.

3 comments:

Cheyenne and John said...

Even with hearing the story the other night, it doesn't make this post any easier to take... PLEASE MOMMY- BE MORE CAREFULL. Who would I call on my way to the grocery store and to the gym and appointments, and... you get the picture. I love you!

Anonymous said...

No more crash stories!
I had a coach in high school that used to nod off on his way to work. He'd always carry a box of blow-pops in his trunk and suck on those to help keep himself alert. He said it did the trick.
What flavor do you like? Maybe we'll send you a box... or 10!

Anonymous said...

David and I are so thankful that angels wrapped their wings of protection around you. Eat sunflowers!!! Suck on a blowpop!!! Sing?!?! Get plenty of rest AT HOME!!! We are so blessed by your friendship. Love ya'll!